•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

escChat Contest: A History from the Eyes of a Sheep

1. Greetings readers! :D

As we know, the contest is an integral part of our site and our community. It's a place where we can share music that is dear to us, unique, undiscovered and in someway representative of us as individuals (well, for the most part anyway :P *ahem*). I had an idea a while back that I should do a countdown of my favourite entries but a thought occurred - songs I'd known and loved for quite a while would be competing with newly found treasures! I am notoriously bad at ranking things so I came to the conclusion that I should do a thread dedicated to the music chat had gifted to me. This is that thread :) I hope you find it somewhat entertaining and that it inspires you to think of what this chat has enriched your life with...
  2. 10. "Pull Shapes" by the Pipettes (Jacuvia)
    7th out of 23 in Edition 12 with 73 points
    Points awarded from Sheepmark: 6

[IMG]

Before we begin we must have a massive EW for the country this song is representing. A now annexed nuclear wasteland, Jacuvia first took part in the new look contest brought back by our jw. The song in question was entered into the first edition I ever hosted, and you should have seen the smile on my face when I found this in my inbox and clicked the link. "Pull Shapes" is comprised of nothing but pure pop, fun and joy. I'd even go as far to say it is one of the best pop songs ever written, it ticks every box from the coy, playful melody to the call from the girls to PULL SHAYPES! This song is so brilliantly written it's almost contrived (and it can be argued that the Pipettes were incredibly calculated - their look came first, the music after). This was destined for greatness but never managed to cross over into the public domain and remains a lost gem in the face of the ever cheapening world of chart pop.

Oh and for anyone interested, the Pipettes (minus one member) recently released their latest album The Earth v., The Pipettes taking a more electro approach to their tunes (non-shock in a post-GaGa landscape) and have been met with the same ignorance and uninterested reaction as their debut acquired. This time it is fully deserved.

"Dance with me, pretty boy tonight - dance with me, and we'll be alright
    There's a whole floor before us, just for you and me, so follow my lead, and we'll 1-2-3"

N.B. to listen to the entries just click on the titles above!
  3. Dingo "Who's Online" page Fan#1

You can see that I gave 'Pull Shapes' 12 points. Just saying.
  4. 9. "My Ear's Candy" - Baek Ji-Young feat. Taekyeon (Hexelbourg)
    16th out of 24 in Edition 9 with 70 points
    Points awarded from Sheepmark: 2

[IMG]

The one and only Korean entry on my countdown comes from Hexelbourg: the land of the mong-style! This is undeniably my favourite K-Pop act entered into the contest in it's history. The pulsing beat is relentless, giving the song a harder, more house-orientated edge while the lyrics bounce back-and-forth between the male and the female lead effortlessly and so rhythmically that you don't even need to understand the language to fully lose yourself. The bridge is oh so quotable and ultimately the killer hook which the song hinges on to get stuck in your mind!

Saranghae (saranghae!)
    I love you (I love you!)
    Wo ai ni (wo ai ni!)
    Te quiero (Te quiero!)
  5. Eurovizz Member

YEEES I AM SO HAPPY IT'S LIKE A VICTORY IN ESCCHAT;D
  6. 8. "Stadt" - Cassandra Steen feat. Adel Tawil (Arbana)
    3rd out of 24 in Edition 7 with 97
    Points awarded from Sheepmark: 8

[IMG]

REAL WINNER OF EDITION 7, Y'ALL.

Except it wasn't. One of Arbana's finest moments in the contest makes it to number eight in my countdown courtesy of the German smash "Stadt" which reached number two in it's homeland. What makes the song so addictive, memorable and well...refreshing are the staccato drum beats and piano chords which have made songs like "Bleeding Love", "Halo" and "Apologise" such popular and enduring hits. The fact it is sung completely in a foreign language is also a massive plus :D this was beaten to the top spot by "Alone" (State of the Ark) and "Shut Up!" (Furnyland) despite receiving four sets of 12 points from Andropia, Hatican City, Nova Nova Scotia and the eventual winner - State of the Ark! Arben recently matched his 3rd place in this edition with the equally amazing "This Is Me" by Monrose. That however took some time to grow on me as he well knows. :P

"...und jede Straße die hinausführt, führt auch wieder rein
    Ich bau eine Stadt für dich - und für mich."
  7. exc taste ofc.

TE QUIERO! :D
  8. 7. "So:Lo" - Kate Havnevik (Hatican City)
    Did not qualify for the final, 19th out of 25 in the semi of edition 11 with 52 points
    Points awarded from Sheepmark: 7

[IMG]

DISCLAIMER: this post does not in anyway alter the fact that Christopher :mean: Ellaby is 2nd only to Este in the poor taste stakes.

We slow it down with a lovely, wistful ballad from Norwegian singer-songwriter Kate Havnevik. This was the second entry in the contest called "SOLO" - the first being performed by Milan Stankovic courtesy of Arbana (I am also legally obliged to mention the fact that Arben is so far the only chatter ever to have sent an artist to the contest before they appeared at Eurovision). With the help of producer Guy Sigsworth, who has worked with some of my favourite musicians including Madonna, Björk and the delightful Imogen Heap, this entry was sadly unsuccessful - possibly too languid and relaxed to really make an impact when it came to voting. This was the soundtrack to my spring and it effortless conveys a sense of lightness and contentedness despite the lyrical content being at odds with the overall atmosphere of the whole song.

"Cos I'm so low, everyone's speeding but I'm still going slow,
    and I'm so low - everyone glows, I see love affairs, everywhere,
    but no-one will do, but you."
  9. 6. "Slow Me Down" - Emmy Rossum (Safinette)
    3rd out of 24 in edition 11 with 129 points
    Points awarded from Sheepmark: 8

[IMG]

Following on from the lovely mood created by the previous contestant, we move on to an equally excellent and enchanting entry from everybody's favourite Turk (sorry Hadise) Almıla UMED Gökçehan! Emmy Rossum is, rather oddly, an actor who thought she'd try her hand at a music career. "Slow Me Down" and the subsequent album Inside Out did very little to trouble the charts anywhere but it did provide those who looked hard enough a wonderful slice of dreamy electronic pop. Comprised completely of vocals layered carefully over one another, "Slow Me Down" does owe a lot to Imogen Heap's "Hide & Seek" but nevertheless stands on it's own merits. It's brevity, rather than detracting from the overall effect of the song, only seeks to enhance it - like an ephemeral dream only palpable for two and half short minutes before disappearing into the ether, leaving the listener wondering if they'd lapsed into a daydream for a brief moment in time. This came very close to beating my first winning entry "The Day It Rained Forever", and in all honesty, I would have been happy to call this my winner. :)

"The noise of the world is getting me caught up, chasing the clock and I wish I could stop it
    Just need to breathe, somebody please...slow me down."
  10. Dingo "Who's Online" page Fan#1

She's a bloke?!

This was the song I gave 10 to but then said 8 in my videovote so dropped the 2 points.
  11. NickEmpel BURGER AND FRIES

Wow Sheep! I love this countdown you are doing. Most of these songs, I had never heard. I just listened to Stadt for the first time, and I was impressed.
    Can't wait for the #5 to #1!
  12. Estêvão Did you ever know that you're (JW) my hero

:P

I win a contest and still...no love...
  13. Don't get me wrong, you're getting better but you've got a dodgy past (like Mina) to make up for :P

For the record: "Need You Now" is one of the finest winners of the contest.
  14. Arben The Flag Lover

i dont like btw how you people think i thought that, i never said it in first place it was the chat and now people seem to think its me who started saying that and that i wasd/am "self-assured":(

Nevertheless YAY im glad, cause tht means much to me, as my most important reason to take part was and is to show people new music i love...!:)
  15. Luis DLC I spread Eurovision joy in the US, oy

Please make a 5-song that almost made it to the top 10 list (and add yours truly) ;D

Nice list, not a single song that I hate here. :P But then again when do I hate a song? :D
  16. 5. "This Is Who I Am" - Vanessa Amorosi (Black Daisystan)
    5th out of 23 in Edition 12 with 73 points
    Points awarded from Sheepmark: 1

[IMG]

Black Daisystan - a contest stalwart. The original creator Jonny, has competed valiantly in every edition never backing away from a challenge (certainly not against rival Mina :P) and has constantly assaulted the scoreboard with his unique brand of feel good pop-rock. "This Is Who I Am" is another entry from the edition I hosted but never stood out to me at the time (hence the low score). I've long been a fan of Vanessa and her insane vocal range since her debut single "Absolutely Everybody" charted in the top 10 :)uk:) all the way back in 2000!

So why did this grow on me? Well it was used in a BodyPump™ class at my gym during the squats track. This is JUST the thing you need when you're gasping for breath trying to lift 20kg (lol, weak I know) in time to music :P the demented clown laugh, the self-assured lyrics, those AD-LIBS in the last few bars of the song...every single note is just perfect for pushing yourself to the limit and feeling damn good about yourself afterwards.

"I don't care if I'm fat, or if you think my clothes are bad,
    'coz i can go to sleep at night I'm a good person and I'll get by!"
  17. 4. "Ambitions" - Donkeyboy (Davis Island)
    7th out of 24 in Edition 7 with 66 points
    Points awarded from Sheepmark: 12

[IMG]

Finally something I gave 12 to right away! :D It's very hard for me to explain just how personal this song is. David introduced it to me at a time in my life when I was at my lowest, when things were looking so bleak I never thought I'd be able to get back up again and hold my head high. "Ambitions" is a sensitive, melancholy, really heart-breaking song (as well as being the second biggest single in Norway ever spending 52 weeks on the chart, 13 of those being at number one) and perfectly represents the person who sent it - a beautiful soul who I hold so dear to my heart.

"I can't tolerate the feelings that I feel when I feel,
    But don't you know, some feelings never seem to let go..."
  18. Dingo "Who's Online" page Fan#1

Haha.. soon to be liked by everyone thanks to Joe Mcelderry :S
  19. 3. "Irgendwas bleibt" - Silbermond (Eigerland)
    8th out of 24 in Edition 10 with 95 points
    Points awarded from Sheepmark: 10

[IMG]

This is my favourite of Eigerland's entries, narrowly beating out the winning "Die suche" and "Alle mine veninder". A number one hit in Germany, it's hard to explain what is special about this song. I don't understand the lyrics nor is there anything really remarkable about the production/structure. I suppose it's just incredibly well written :) there's a longing, an ache which runs throughout which is perfectly realised in the music video, especially the section after the middle-8. Must watch!

"Auch wenn die Welt den Verstand verliert,
    das ‘Hier’ bleibt unberührt, Nichts passiert..."
  20. I know, right. :( Simon Cowell is just intent on ruining all songs which are special to me. Watch out for Leona Lewis murdering "The Power of Good-bye" by Madonna: coming soon to an X Factor live show near you...

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023