•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

ESCChat Song Contest - The Future

?

How should the rules be interpreted in future contests (please read the thread before voting)?

By the host - they won the last edition and can do as they please 2 vote(s) 9.1%
Group - elected by all members 3 vote(s) 13.6%
Group - internally selected 17 vote(s) 77.3%
  1. Nessie SWEET HOME ALABAMA

i am so innocuous for mina :(
  2. Mina Member with a "past"

LMAO, Nessie, you soooooo aren't..you are of course included in the 'newer but established members' :D
  3. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

DO expect an official decree by your lord and master (me) at some point today on this subject.
  4. Merjan BOSOPOFO ELSIE

Well of course you agree with Vizzy, because she merely agreed with you.
  5. Merjan BOSOPOFO ELSIE

EXACTLY.

Maybe the Rules should be amended so the bit about the core founding members is removed, but the members of value part remains. Surely if core founding members are not regularly making a meaningful contribution to the site they are not members of value.
    MagicGianluk likes this.
  6. Merjan BOSOPOFO ELSIE

OK MIna, so this time I agree with you. I actually agree with the part I've deleted for the purpose of this reply :P.

What I would say about new people wanting to join the contest is that, for much of the time, the chat is entirely about contests. People are talking about choosing their songs for the next one, who did well/badly in the current one and, as we had last night (understandably under the circumstances - although last night was, by no means exceptional) lengthy discussions about contests back to the year dot.

All those of you who have been around since the dawn of time, or shortly thereafter, have absolutely no idea what an exclusive club that is. You are all part of it and you cannot possibly understand how left out the rest of us feel/felt. (This is something I talked about at the time [and was told I was rude] and have done since.) Of course people want to be part of it!

But at least some us (like me, of course) do try to get our heads around what, exactly, goes on before we try to join in. You must know that I have a terrific problem with new members who are literally in chat for about 10 minutes before they are asking about joining the contest. They always seem incredibly "fishy" to me.
  7. Merjan BOSOPOFO ELSIE

Maybe there should be a "probationary" period for new members - a time they have to be regularly in chat and making a meaningful contribution, and the same for returning old members - a (probably shorter) time they have to back for before they can participate in the contest again.
  8. No, I think we were all well aware of that.

Now I'm waiting for jw's official decree ;)
  9. Merjan BOSOPOFO ELSIE

Actually I'm not sure that some people were.
  10. Gian My avatar is fat and frumpy

I agree with you.
    Merjan likes this.
  11. Mina Member with a "past"

Well, that's the same for everyone who's new someplace...both online and offline. Everyone was new at some point, except for a bunch of people who were here from the beginning of the site. Adam was new, James was new, Nick was new, Juli was new etc etc etc. I honestly don't remember any of them complaining about 'exclusivity'...on the contrary, all of them asked questions, chatted with us, got to know us and what the contest was all about and finally got over the 'newbie' stage and are now considered 'oldies'.
    But you can't expect that to happen just like that, it takes time.
  12. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

OFFICIAL DECREE

Scheeples likes this.
  13. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

OFFICIAL DECREE 2.0

There are only two possible scenarios I can envisage here. Having a rotating group of people just won't really work in my opinion, because it will naturally be unstable because of the nature of swapping different people with different ideas regular basis. Having a fixed coalition would be essential for the stability of the contest. Similarly, letting the host decide can cause a range of problems and you only have to look to the early editions (specifically Edition 6) for proof of this.

So, two options. I have a feeling you'll prefer the second option, but anyway:

First option:

A permanent committee which would be formed with the best interests of the contest at heart. It would be selected by the administration team (i.e. me, Sheep and BAS) and the positions would be permanent until someone decides to step down, at which point the same admin team would reconvene to nominate a replacement.

Pro: I get to fully retire. The contest becomes forum based which may boost a sense of community and make the forums more utilised.
    Con: People may think there's a two-tier team of contest participants (unless the participants who are appointed withdraw from entering, which doesn't seem fair).

Second option:

I still retire from video production but still handle submission, voting etc, on the contest site. The status quo but without video shows, but with more responsibility for each host to come up with a logo, etc.

Pro: You continue to use the contest site, see the leaderboard update etc as it is now but without video results shows.
    Con: You'll be selfish cunts who don't let me fully retire and step away :P

I won't push you into either direction, but they're the only two potentially workable solutions that I can envisage. I expected these discussions to have taken place already by Edition 24, ready for implementation now. Because now as everything is in flux the next edition can't start until it's resolved.
    pepepaez likes this.
  14. Curtis Belgium is a non country.

15. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

Selfish.
  16. Nessie SWEET HOME ALABAMA

ok lets see.

the second option is great, but we would be selfish yes. it cant be as much work as it used to be, but you would still have to download the videos and post them...
    on the other hand that is a great thing, because we avoid vevo's countries banning and problems like that if we only have the videos on the forum.

so i dont know...
  17. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

I don't know either. I need to step away for health reasons and generally to give me more time. But I don't want to see the project I worked on for 2 years become inferior and just like the other contests out there.

But it's not for me to decide.
  18. Curtis Belgium is a non country.

I just don't want to lose you <3

one of the gayest things ever said since "just me and you big boy" - Merjan earlier this month
  19. Nessie SWEET HOME ALABAMA

i think that that would be the main problem, if someone is unable to listen to a song. how difficult would it be for us to have a parellel video-hosting service for the songs? do you know any?

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023