•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

FURNYLAND 98: 홍보 자료

1. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

This is a long 'un - I've not done a promo since #25 so I think I'm overdue. Perhaps I can get Wiggles to record himself reading it for us all <<

I've planned this promo for a while, but I wanted to wait until after the songs were released before posting it. It's not an attempt at describing my song; that would be silly now they've been revealed, but rather, it's an explanation as to why I sent it. Most of you are now aware of those reasons, but I'm posting a full explanation here, which can also hopefully serve as a reminder to you all about the spirit of the contest long after this edition has come to an end.

When I first devised the idea for #100 to be a 'returning artists' edition, I had planned to send Good Luck My Friend to that particular contest, because it is, quite simply, my favourite song by my favourite non-English (language) artist, who are also the most successful in the contest; so I thought it would be an appropriate entry, for both personal and contest reasons. So why, in the end, did I pass up that opportunity and submit it to #98 instead?

To answer that, we go back to #85. You may all recall I entered Io e te to mark 60 editions since my previous entry, Salvami. The significance was there - Eurovision had just had its 60th edition, and I thought it would be quite nice to enter our contest 60 editions later with the artist that gifted me what was, and still is, the biggest victory in our history. I was actually torn between two songs, and ultimately went for Io e te. But from the start, the whole contest was marred by the comments of one person, who I shall refer to as Chris. Actually, that may be a bit too obvious, so I shall henceforth refer to him as 'an Australian'. I trust that is sufficiently ambiguous.

Apparently, the poignancy of my return and the choice of artist was lost on this Australian. Instead, I had simply made an 'uninspired', and 'unoriginal' choice to bring back a former artist. Considering how infrequently I participate, I wanted #85 to be special, but that was taken away with some thoughtless words.

Fast forward a few editions and Julio decided to send Emma Marrone for a third time. Guess what? "Oh no, her again" were the cries from certain quarters. Cue a repeat of the same for Dolcenera. And what's more, this time, people were moaning at - perhaps just stopping short of criticising - Hanita for giving her 12p, because, you know, he really likes her and has given her 12p on all previous occasions too.

Is it really that surprising that someone might give 12p to the same artist repeatedly, when it's obvious they like that artist's music? It isn't. But should someone be made to feel uneasy and, dare I say, intimidated into not doing it again? Of course not.

When somebody sends a song, I would hope they do so because they like that song and want to share it with you all*. It's likely, although of course not always certain, that they will like other songs by that artist too. Why should they feel that they can't share those other songs with us, just because they've already sent a song by that artist before? I hope the vast majority of you will agree that they shouldn't be made to feel that way? I'm sure the whole contest is richer for the fact that we've been able to enjoy multiple songs by the same artists.

So anyway, a while ago I realised that #97 would be my 100th production of this contest, and it seemed like another good opportunity to enter. I knew I'd send the same band again, with the song that I had almost sent to #85, Liberi da sempre, but I was also armed with the knowledge that, if it were to win (and victory is something I never ever take for granted), I would be presented with a rare opportunity to use my time as host as a platform to encourage and remind people that they are free to send what they wish, and that they shouldn't be afraid.

And so it happened: Liberi da sempre won, and I am thankful to you all (except that nameless Australian <<) for your points. To reinforce the message of freedom of choice, I decided that I should also enter #98, with that same artist once more. I ultimately chose a song that was very different from Salvami, Io e te and Liberi da sempre and, as you all now know, it was Good Luck My Friend. As I mentioned above, it is my favourite song of theirs, with over 700 plays, according to my iTunes. I've listened to it every single day for a very long time and I want to share it with you. That's the spirit of the contest, isn't it?

I consider you to be my online friends, and I hope that sentiment is reciprocated. I wish you all luck in the contest, and in life in general. But what's more, I wish you the courage and freedom to send whomever you want*, whatever you want, whenever you want, as often as you want, and with no fear.

And similarly, you should always feel that you are able to vote for your favourites, even if you've given that artist 12 before. People shouldn't - and I am sure they will no longer - make negative comments. Taste is always personal, and nobody has the right to criticise you for it. I'll always defend those who 'play fair'.

So, in closing, good luck my friends - it's a song contest, not an artist contest, and your song choices represent the sound of your nation, and nobody else's. And don't forget it.

* RCB excepted :P
  2. Anaconda I'm as sick as fuck.

</
  3. NickEmpel BURGER AND FRIES

WELL spoken.

Good luck, my GOOD friend JW and everyone else who plays this contest in the way it's intended: Honest and friendly.
    Merjan and Anaconda like this.

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023