•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

New Rules: Consultation #1

?

Do you like the Golden Rule idea?

Poll closed 15th July 2009.
Yes, it's lovely. 8 vote(s) 88.9%
No, it smells. 1 vote(s) 11.1%
  1. calrisle Scrutineer

Hello everyone!

This week is CONSULTATION & CONFIRMATION week! We've got a whole bunch of new and exciting rules and ideas for the contest, and this week there'll be a series of posts and polls so everyone can have their say on whether or not they like the ideas. Proposal #1 is...

THE GOLDEN RULE

The Golden Rule is a special opportunity for each host of the contest to put his or her personal stamp on that particular edition. The rule can be pretty much anything, but it may not replace or alter any of the main rules of the contest, nor may it alter the contest in such a way that it would interfere with any potential 'themed' contests, for instance, your golden rule could not be something like "all songs must be from the 1980's", as that could prevent us from having a special 1980's edition. With that exception, a host can take the Golden Rule as far as they like in a musical sense, for instance you may choose to allow certain ESC-based songs using your golden rule: "songs in this edition may include entries to the 1974 Belgian national final", "songs in this edition can be Yugoslavian Eurovision entries of the 1980's", or non-ESC options such as "all songs entered must not be by Annie Lennox or Katy Perry". Alternatively, it could be about the presentation of the contest - some members have indicated their preference for having songs presented without any mention of which country sent it, so you could make that your golden rule! The possibilities are huge, and you can use the golden rule to make each edition different, and give it a certain national flair! You could, of course, choose not to use the golden rule at all, keeping everything nice and simple!

So, what does everybody think? Should the Golden Rule be a way for people to give each contest a personal flavour? Vote in the poll!
  2. Mina Member with a "past"

I totally agree...and I have some cool ideas, too..I hope I'll have won once before next esc so I can use them:D
  3. CTP Jass hater

I'm all for countries putting their own spin on the presentation etc. But I disagree with sometimes allowing ESC related songs or asking people to choose a specific genre or artist type (or alternatively "banning" any artist). The songs chosen for this contest should be unrestricted beyond the ESC-related rule we already have, in my opinion :P.
  4. Estêvão Did you ever know that you're (JW) my hero

Yes, with restrictions...

I like the Golden Rule idea, but...

I agree with CTP. There should not be any esc, jesc, or nf songs allowed. That, I think, is a core rule of our contest. I do however like the concept of a Golden Rule. Something like (no english-based songs in one contest). This will give us an opportunity to hear new music that we normally would never have been exposed to (I'm looking at you Mina) :D
  5. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

Yes .. although I also agree that there should be no esc jesc or nf songs under any circumstances, I think it kinda defeats the object of the contest :P

Also the problem is (for example) for saying "all songs must be from the 80's" is that me and quite a few others here probably, have absolutely no knowledge of music from the 80's, and absolutely no interest in 80's music, so those contests would be a bit monotonous for some of us :P

I think its a good idea providing that whatever the Golden rule is, its relevant to all of us :)

Btw I like este's one of non-english songs :)
  6. calrisle Scrutineer

Yep, all the ideas are welcome, and of course the involvement of ESC songs was just an example - I couldn't think of another way to get it across!

I don't think the golden rule should interfere with anything that may potentially create a contest on its own, as I've said. Ollie's favoured idea of an occasional 'themed' contest is a great one, and should be considered separately from any ideas for a golden rule!

The steering group of the ECBU can of course vote on whether or not a particular golden rule is appropriate, so I suppose apart form that there's no limits! :)

I'm really excited by Este's idea about a 'non-English' golden rule! It would make for an interesting contest as he said, with new music being opened up for us all.

Hooray!
  7. Estêvão Did you ever know that you're (JW) my hero

Another suggestion...

This probably falls under the concept of a "themed" contest, and not a GOLDEN RULE but...

How about a JECSC? I mean, for example, we could all send songs that are either A) sung by children under age 15, or B) are songs specifically geared towards kids under age 15.

The reason I suggest this is because I found the PERFECT song for this AND it's in Portuguese too! :D
  8. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

O M F G I HAVE THE PERFECT SONG TO!!!!! Its not sung by a teenager but its definitely aimed at them and whenever I listen to it it just makes me think my taste is way too similar to that of a 12 year old emo girl lmao :P
  9. Mina Member with a "past"

I absolutely hate this idea..sorry but I don't know any songs sung by kids (except JESC songs) and I would have to start googling for 'song sung by kid'..lmao
    Of course if everyone agrees, I'll go along with it because I'm just that nice:P
  10. CTP Jass hater

That's OK for a theme I guess. I think - with the exception of songs from NF and ESC/JESC - that no restrictions should be put in place on songs entered. That's what we have the themes for. That's just my 5 cents.

Also, when we say ESC songs are banned, does that extend to songs performed in interval acts/intros that were not part of the competition, but were performed at the contest?

I think that whenever you use a golden rule, some people will be weaker/stronger than others, and it will probably never be "relevant" to all. Conversely, this contest is about fun and learning and finding new music, so maybe if we force people to pick something in a style outside their comfort zone, that might open up some "closed" minds? lol
  11. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

Btw Dave out of interest, when is the contest gonna be held? Cos i'm going away on the 2nd so I wanna know if I can take part of not :)
  12. Mina Member with a "past"

Same here. I'm going away on the 31st..will the contest have started by then?
  13. calrisle Scrutineer

Honestly, I'm not totally sure - I really want to get these new rules firmly in place before we carry on. I hope that's cool :)

...I personally can't see it being before the end of the month, it just depends what gets decided when.
  14. ollie2283 jedan sam čekao je ovdje!

i know david u want all the rules done

and to the rest of us i know u wanna have the contest

would it be sensible that we only tackle 2 rules per edition, so after about 3 or 4 editions we have a full set of new rules?
    this solution also fits the best of both worlds
  15. Mina Member with a "past"

I agree with Ollie. If we wait for all the rules, the new esc will start...loooooooooool
  16. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

Yeah like ollie and mina I think we should tackle rules over time :) As long as the songs are revealed before the 1st of August I can vote in time ... otherwise we may see the first ever Black Daisy withdrawal (not in a stroppy way, just because I wouldn't be able to take part)! :o :D
  17. c1ask0 Napkin of death holder

My golden rule would be that you have to vote for the host country. :P
  18. digifreak BRUNO

Well... I really liked Este's idea about a contest where the english songs are banned. That for sure would allow everyone to listen to a new batch of music that probably we wouldn't have the chance to listen. I can think about Indian music, Japanese, oh well... Portuguese XD... so I hope that if this idea goes thru that one of the next countries to host the contest choses that as the golden rule.

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023