•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

Should we introduce semi-finals?

?

Based on the information in the post below, should we include a semi-final?

There should be 1 semi-final 10 vote(s) 55.6%
There should be 2 semi-finals 5 vote(s) 27.8%
We should never use semi-finals 3 vote(s) 16.7%
  1. How about a newcomers semi-final like when all the new Eastern European countries wanted to join the real contest? It's just a thought, people are still integrated into the contest/site but at the same time we're not overloaded with entries...

And I agree with CTP, we need to make the Eurovision forum more lively - I shall get on that right away :D
  2. kotsios Call me Kots. Potter Kots

That's a great idea! When ESC season starts again there will be a lot of new people coming to the site (and hence the contest) so this will definitely work!
  3. Kiewen New Member

I dont know if this idea has been mentioned before, if it has, im sorry for being repetitive! but hows about, for someone to participate in the contest, they need to have a country profile, because after all, does that not show some sort of interest in the goings on, because after all not everyone is able to get into the chat when others are on.

and i understand that if they create a country profile it still means that it may be that the person who has just joined is only using us for the contest.

how about they must introduce themselves on the forum AND make a country profile? i know for a fact i have done neither of those things!!
  4. Okay, sorry to be behind everyone else :D but I've just finished voting and I have to say I'm not pleased. Trying to rank 32 songs was not pleasant and I've had to make so many compromises which I'm not happy about. People say this every edition but I really mean it, I'm sorry to those of you who I really wanted to vote for but couldn't.

Semis ftw ofc.
  5. Mina Member with a "past"

First of all, just like sheep, I found it extremely difficult to rank 32 songs.
    I graded them from 1 to 10 and in the end I had to include 4 8's and leave out 3 8's..meaning songs that I really liked, too but I had to choose.
    33 songs are just too many, no question about it!

As for alienating new members..the site has 300 members..can we have a contest with 300 songs? I don't think so. The contest should remain for people who at least take the time to come here and say hello and a few things about themselves.
  6. CTP Jass hater

If we get the best songs going through semis, separating them will get even harder :o I personally had no problems ranking them. Looking over the list, there are 2 new countries with which I have never seen/heard of the people behind it - if that's our measure of whether someone can enter, then I see only 2 who in theory couldn't. I think a semi is inevitable myself, does anyone disagree? :P
  7. c1ask0 Napkin of death holder

The semi final is inevitable and should be implemented whenever the number of participants exceeds 30.

The top 10 of the previous contest should be the pre-qualified countries and a further 14 ought to qualify from the semi-final. This gives us 24 finalists.

As for voting, all entrants should vote in both the semi-final and the final.

That is my definitive opinion. ;)
  8. Madwolfy New Member

It seems that we will keep on using semi-finals, and i agree with this and am not particularly fussed about weather we have one or two semi finals.

The one problem i see with the automatic qualifier thing, though, is that it means people who win/do well are more likely to continue doing well and the people who do badly are more likely to do badly again which is a bit unfair/unbalanced and i am not 100% with but thought it was worth mentioning [Not to do with the fact that i never do well enough to qualify :rolleyes:]
  9. Alex Identified Flying Object

Once more , I agree with you , and i believe that only the host and maybe the top 3 should qualify automatically. Don't you think it's unfair for the rest of us?...
  10. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

2 years on and the debate continues :P
  11. Gian My avatar is fat and frumpy

Yes,Scheep is right!
  12. Ljupco Active Member

I am more for a 1996 Oslo system. Only the host qualifies and everyone else is in a pre-qualifying round! That's how we'd have even chances :)
  13. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

Gianluca, how can you say yes Sheep is right about sticking with 1 semifinal then you posted in the other thread that you want 2 semifinals? :-#

Ljupco, although that idea sounds good in theory, the problem - and reason for the original requirement for the semi - was that 30+ songs were too much for people to listen to at once, hence the staggered approach of having a semifinal.
  14. Gian My avatar is fat and frumpy

Because he said that if we have more than 37 participants we will make semi finals.
    But not always, so this is a right middle way.
  15. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

Yeah but he didn't though. Please don't take this badly, but often your involvement in these debates only leads to more confusion, so you should probably stop...
    Merjan likes this.
  16. Gian My avatar is fat and frumpy

ok, I will shut up.

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023