Hi from mobile, I'm in
Sign up period now closed
All participants have now been privately notified of their partners. Remember you must not publicly reveal who your partner is.
Please note that your flag should be 600 x 400 pixels.
Deadline for this phase: 17th November 2017.
Note that there is NO longer a requirement to pick a results show time as I don't know how long each vote will take until the scoreboard is designed and that won't happen for quite some time. So please proceed with the rest of the information in your submissions without that.
RECAP TIMES ARE STILL NEEDED.
Something to keep in mind when making a flag is that flags should generally be simple yet meaningful. They should be good designs worthy of symbolising the entity they stand for, and recognisable so that when you see them from far away you still see "aha, that's former balunistani republic of jamoukovia". A respected vexillologist once made a list of 5 basic principles of flag design:
1. Keep It Simple. The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory.
2. Use Meaningful Symbolism. The flag’s images, colours, or patterns should relate to what it symbolises.
3. Use 2 or 3 Basic Colours. Limit the number of colours on the flag to three which contrast well and come from the standard colour set.
4. No Lettering or Seals. Never use writing on any kind or an organisation’s seal.
5. Be Distinctive or Be Related. Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections.
Now, these principles aren't 100% strict, and a good flag can deviate from one or more of those. However, very often deviations lead to a worse looking or less distinct flag. If you disagree with some of those principles, like the colour limit, at least think of contrast. Some good flags have more colours, like South Africa.
Here's a short, helpful document by the same vexillologist and a few others, going into a bit more detail about good guiding principles.
Using complex imagery is usually a bad idea for a few reasons, and furthermore it's a stipulation for this contest that flags should not include photos, pictures or clip art. This doesn't mean you can't use symbols or imagery, just that it has to be designed by you even if it borrows some elements. Not simply copy-pasting stuff.
International flags come in a variety of proportions, but all flags here should have a 2:3 ratio and be submitted as a picture spanning 600x400px.
So in conclusion, a non-strict tip:
* Try to stick to tips and principles of flag design in order to make an effective symbol. There are a lot of pages online where people talk about their favourite flags and why they are their favourite, even if they sometimes break some of the principles.
* Flags should be 600x400px
* Flags should not include photos, pictures or clip art copied from elsewhere and pasted on the flag
* Flags should be original and not real country or other flags simply appropriated for use here (this is an old rule)
* James should not moan if his flag application is rejected. You can do it (when you B&Q it), James.
Thanks mgf chris.
While we are clarifying the criteria, I'd also like to remind you that you are NOT participating as your respective nations, so please avoid team names and flags that borrow elements from your respective nation names and flags. Be original.
Two teams will be announced each day in this forum thread as we count down to the BIG song reveal on Sunday 26th November. Stay tuned.
For clarification, the order that the team names are revealed is no way indicative of the final running order for the contest.
adamacs Anaconda CTP Curtis danDenDutch Genesis2703 Güneç Gülün James jaylouise123Julio Luis DLC Merjan Mina mrvirgo Nessie NickEmpel Pedro Ronini Rua sokrates1988 Stockholm calling Wiggles
The first two teams to be announced in The Fifth Team Edition are:
Republic of Yeah - North East
Two more will be announced at roughly the same time tomorrow. Feel free to guess which members may be participating as these team pairings, but please do not confirm or deny your involvement in any team.
Golden Coastline has to be CTP with all those golden beaches in OZ and Mina
Republic of Yeah is it david essex Ill say Jayne and Bas
As the two members residing furthest to the North East, I guess Wiggles and Anette for the first, and Adam and Rua for the second.
RoY NE - Wiggles & Nessie
GC - Sok & Jayne
Golden Coastline... If that has to do with hair, James and Dan.
Republic of Yeah - North East. Any mention of the north should be Anette. Boby, being from Romania, should be the east.
I think CTP is part of Golden Coastline in tribute to Australia's CWGs hosting and maybe Julio who must have a lovely coat nearby. I don't get the Rep of Yeah at all. However, Wiggles chose esc north for the fantasy league so maybe he's the north bit and who's furthest east. I'll go for Berk as it would just be silly to guess Chris twice.
Maybe I'm overthinking this
Republic of Yeah - North East is jayne and sok, because the LCD say "yeah" in their corker, and sok supports Newcastle.
Golden coastline is Luis and Norman because they're both from so far inland that they dream of access to the sea.
Or maybe she is just thick