•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

Time for Australia to join ESC

1. pberrett New Member

Hi all

I think Australia should be allowed to join in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Here's justification

1. ESC is VERY popular here in Australia

2. Australians love competing (and beating the British is so much fun)

3. SBS is a member of the EBU

4. The territory of Australia borders France, Norway and the United Kingdom (look at map of Antarctica). Even if you don't accept that, New Caledonia which is part of France is only a few hundred miles from our shores.

5. Our country is mostly of European descent

6. We have plenty of cheesy pop acts we could send to the contest and inflict upon you namely

- The Wiggles
    - Hi-5
    - Kylie Minogue
    - Doug Anthony Allstars

or best still The Kransky sisters
  2. CTP Jass hater

Now, the Doug Anthony Allstars would be worth seeing... but the wiggles!? No one voted for Hi-5 (Piero & The Musicstars)... Maybe we can sneak in and just call ourself Austria? I mean, the real Austria isn't using it...
  3. Arben The Flag Lover

australia is taking part at the 1st asiavision songcontest this year...
  4. CTP Jass hater

That's what the organisers of the Asia-Pacific Contest keep saying, but no-one has told Australia yet...
  5. Mark New Member

Not being mean, but I'd hat Australia to enter, at least with armenia/georgia/azerbaijan you can argue they are in Europe ... besides Australia has that new asian vision + pafic thingie :D:D
  6. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

I wouldn't mind seeing Australia in esc :)

ESC is VERY popular here in Australia

But you see, i'm not being an asshole BUT I read that only 500,000 people watched ESC in Australia, which is equivalent to about 1.5 mil in the UK, which I don't really think is justification to call it VERY popular! I mean, even in France more people watch (as a percentage of the population, and france really doesn't give a shit!

I wouldn't mind seeing Australia in esc tho, but I think due to the time differences its a bit of a grey area whether SBS would actually want to take part.
  7. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

LMAO now theres a plan!!! :D
  8. CTP Jass hater

I think the only way Moldova, Russia, Estonia and Australia will ever be in the same contest, is if we someday have a global music contest. A global contest, televised live in the timezone of the host, delayed so as that it is broadcast at the same time across other timezones. Then we could have another separate results show the next day or something. Something like that could work, but who's going to run it?
  9. CTP Jass hater

And... realistically, I don't think Australia wants to be part of a European contest anymore than it wants to be part of an Asian contest (hence the name change of that contest - anyone who doesn't observe the Asia-Pacific contest name change will be bashed with a big stick that will swoop down from the sky...).

La Mark:
    You're just scared of our Norwegian diaspora (all 15,000 of them!) voting!
  10. Mark New Member

CTP
    Norway will struggle for 1 vote, let alone 15,000 ... besides...Rybak wont be in *if* Australia joins...
  11. pberrett New Member

Qatar to join eurovision

To illustrate that the geographical borders don't matter much anymore it looks like Qatar will be joining Eurovision...

http://www.esctoday.com/news/read/14007

I hope SBS look seriously at joining in. Not sure how to get around the time difference though.

cheers Peter
  12. Luis DLC I spread Eurovision joy in the US, oy

I thought they ALREADY announced that Qatar and Kazhakstan etc can't join...
  13. Kevin New Member

Qatar and Kazakhstan aren't allowed to join, because they were deamed too far from Europe.
    Although bizarely, Kazakhstan is actually geographically more west than Azerbaijan, and part of Kazakhstan is actually in europe, whilst none of Israel or Armenia are.
  14. Luis DLC I spread Eurovision joy in the US, oy

Besides the outrage :P what'll be done about the time difference?

[IMG]

I found a color-coded map :)

Green: Participated in ESC at least once
    Yellow: Are eligible but still haven't participated
    Pink: Were going to join but backed out at the last minute (because of the Israel recognition thing)
    Gray: Not eligible
  15. Luis DLC I spread Eurovision joy in the US, oy

Oh crap that map's huge :o I thought it would show up in its smaller size
  16. Almila i am what i am

Pfff hahaha:)
  17. Mark New Member

But I love Israel and Armenia - so EBU allows them to enter, and I hate Kazakhstan, because of that stupid "comedian" so EBU doesn't allow them to enter :D

On Australia, it's quite silly they clearly aren't Europe ... If you can argue that they are I'll be shocked, I know Eurovision is about the EBU, but allowing Australia really would be "pushing the button". If Australian singer's want to enter, I'm sure the UK would use them, we still need a good singer and song TOGETHER ! Also I think the EBU's main priorities are Italy, Austria, Monaco etc. and Luxembourg needs to get a EBU broadcaster darn it !
  18. Marko FOR LIFE New Member

I wanna Jordan to enter ESC, and Diana Karazon (World Idol) to represent them!!!:):)
    And then Kurt Nielsen to represent Norway, I wanna those two to compete like they did in World Idol!!
  19. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

Well there we are then.
    Merjan, ThatWelshOne and Rua like this.
  20. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

I'm currently cringing at how liberally 2009 me used exclamation marks.

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023