•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

Romania 2020

1. Anaconda I'm as sick as fuck.

This year, Romania decided to try something new. The artist, Roxen, was internally selected by the broadcaster.

From what I gather, Roxen (pronounced Roxén, rather like Roxanne - and unlike vixen) is a 20 year old singer with a very short career behind her. While she was passionate about music from an early age and took piano and singing lessons, she only broke in August last year, when she featured on Sickotoy's single You Don't Love Me, which had some European success. She had a couple of own singles since. Wikipedia describes her style as deep house, and notes that multiple observers have compared her to Dua Lipa and Billie Eilish.

Five different songs were written especially for Eurovision, and she will perform all five of them in a televised show on 1 March at 7pm WIM, and will be available to watch here.

Each performance will have its own special staging. The songs are (in running order):
    1. Beautiful Disaster
    2. Cherry Red
    3. Colors (HFA for the spelling)
    4. Alcohol You
    5. Storm

The show will be hosted by Elena Gheorghe (Romania ESC representative in 2009) and Connect-R (Moldova ESC representative in 2006, alongside Arsenium and Natalia Gordienko). Loreen will provide a guest performance (a 20 minute show), while other guests include Ulrikke (Norway 2020), Natalia Gordienko (Moldova 2020) and Sandro (Cyprus 2020). The first two will perform their Eurovision entries - but it is yet unclear if the latter will perform his for the first time.

The winning song will be decided by jury and televote (50%-50%), where the televote prevails in case of a tie. The fanosphere, both in Romania and abroad, seems divided between Cherry Red and Alcohol You, with the others barely getting a mention in comments. Of the two, Cherry Red seems to get slightly more mentions.

It's hard to judge without hearing her live and without a sense of the staging, but overall, I think she's an OK singer, and the songs are all objectively alright and competently produced (even if the genre is not one I enjoy). I personally thought Colors or Beautiful Disaster were better sounding, but between the two hyped favourites, I definitely prefer Alcohol You, as I find Cherry Red the least interesting and the most commercial of all of them.
    FansOfRoxen and Ronini like this.
  2. James ... and his things xD

I don't want to copy sok but: They're all crap:turd:
    Anaconda likes this.
  3. Rua Haldor Lægreid Impersonator

I didn't really understand the hype of the songs but I think I would choose Alcohol You (it does need a rework of some of the lyrics, though).
    Anaconda likes this.
  4. Ronini SHIT Taste Central

I am hoping for Alcohol You, as I thing it is the one with the most potential to have an impact with good staging, but wouldn't mind Beautiful Disaster, followed by Colors (sic). If either of the other two gets the ticket I won't exactly be rooting for her to make the Grand Final.
    Anaconda likes this.
  5. Mina Member with a "past"

Cherry red is the one I prefer.
  6. mrvirgo Active Member

Me too. I am thrilled that someone else shares my taste.
    Mina likes this.
  7. Anaconda I'm as sick as fuck.

Just pushing this up, as it is tonight. I also updated a few details in the original post. Remember that Cyprus could also be revealing their song tonight during the Romanian National Final, where Sandro is scheduled as a guest act and might perform his entry for the first time.
  8. Anaconda I'm as sick as fuck.

The winning song for Roxen in Romania's National Selection is Alcohol You, which has topped both jury and televote preference. Cherry Red only came third.

Listen to the live performance:

I am pleased we dodged the Cherry Red bullet, that said Roxen needs to seriously work on her vocal delivery, and it needs an engaging, non-ballady staging.
    Rua likes this.
  9. FansOfRoxen New Member

She's No 1 in most of the rankings

Such an good actress, everytime she's different

What a 20 year old artist, so beautiful and special!

Here she had a better sound...

10. Teodor Moderator

The revamped version is here:
    Anaconda likes this.
  11. James ... and his things xD

It's still a turd.:turd:

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023