•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

Tips for Germany or how we can do well again

1. escfan05 New Member

Hello i come from germany, and yes after years which we have bad results, i have a question for all the members from outside germany. What can Germany do, that we will do better in the future? And why we did so bad at the last five years. In Germany a lot of people think, that germany is unpopular in europe or its about Eastconnection and Diaspora, so that germany has no chances. But i think its not that easy. Also what can we do, that Germany is more successfull at the ESC. Thanks for your opinion, and sorry for my bad english.
  2. Arben The Flag Lover

Took almost a year until finally another person from germany arrives here...

As im not outern-Germany, im not allowed to answer, i guess :P...
  3. c1ask0 Napkin of death holder

Personally, I think Germany shouldn't rely so much on the English language. It's been a while since you sent a song entirely in German. I think it could help you to stand out for once. It might give you a sense of national pride too.

I'm interested to hear what other people think about that actually, because my national language is English anyway. Are there any people not from Ireland or UK that wish their country would send a song in your own language?
  4. CTP Jass hater

I don't think the language Germany sings in matters much. My position on language is that artists should do what they like, providing they are good at whatever language they sing in.

Lets look at the last 5 years from Deutschland:

Gracia was ordinary. She was not a good live singer.

Texas Lightning were good performers, but country type songs are unlikely to appeal to the broad European community. Same thing for Roger Cicero in 2007. Fine performer, but niche song type. I'd add Miss Kiss... to the list.

No Angels were crap. Simple. Couldn't sing the song live, goodnight.

I think Germany needs to get the basics right - a performer who can sing live in front of an audience. What sort of song? Well, there's no one type of song that is guaranteed to do well, but even a naff song will sound better if it's in key. I would say that the song needs to be memorable though, with a good hook, catchy chorus whatever. Just make sure you you can remember how the song goes 10 minutes after you hear it.

The voting? Yes, there is bloc voting. Yes, it might reduce the chance for Germany (and other countries) points. Can't do much about that. But the EBU has introduced juries, which may help. Will be interesting to see the effects of being able to vote from the start of the competition this year. Stefan Raab is in control of the selection process for Germany, and regardless of what people may think of Wadde Hadde Dudda Da, I think he could be the man to turn things around. He knows his stuff, and I hope he can deliver this time.
  5. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

Basically, SEND SOMETHING AMAZING :D

Like CTP said, recently theres been something lacking or just something unappealing about every German entry. None of them have been incredibly bad, but none have been particularly moist-inducing, if you know what I mean.

Basically a good singer with a good song should do just fine :)

HOWEVER Ignore C1ask0's advice!! (Jokes ofcourse, but still) I don't think Germany should sing in German. No offence, but I don't think the language sounds great in songs to people that don't speak German, or particularly to people who don't speak a Germanic language. I think Roger Cicero kinda suffered a bit because of this.
  6. Stewart SOD ME HARD AND FAST

Avoid singing in German. The brutality of the language would scare many children.
  7. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

I wish for all escChatters to boycott Germany.

Why? gERMANy. You know what I mean.

;)
  8. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

Oh you're just too witty :P
  9. Arben The Flag Lover

i have the DEEP need to enter escchat-contest with german songs now, to show you how brutal german sound -.-

oh and i forgot: was "Stadt" so brutal for your ears, well you seemed to like it...

If a song SUCKs, the language sucks, thats it...
    I hope though that you know Schiller,Goethe,Mozart,Bach,Fontane etc. were big names in the poetry-history of europe (comparable to Shakespeare) or in music-history.

I know germany CAN give us GREAT music, with GERMAN language, becaue there is a lot of good german music in the german-charts...

Germany should be ITSELF first in ESC and not send "no no never", "Frauen regiern die welt" and "miss kiss bang bang" one after another in a short time, so that the world thinks we stuck in the 1920s somewhere (which is actually in some decade were germanys reputation was not that high lol)...

ANd now i think more than ever... GERMANY, send GERMAN and show entire europe how beautiful german can sound, u need the right composer and the right poet and the right singer, THATS IT....
  10. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

Maybe it would have won if it was in English :) ... Oh wait, it was the real winner of #7, wasn't it? ;) :P
  11. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

Tbh I just don't think German sounds wonderful to people who can't speak German. It's probably the same for English also, as English is hardly a nice sounding language, but because most of us speak it we don't see it as a bad language for music. So if you can speak German, it probably sounds better on the ears than if you don't speak it.
  12. escfan05 New Member

Thank you for your opinion. This Year Germany has a new format to select the artist and song to sing for germany. ARD and the private Channel Pro Sieben and Stefan Raab start next Tuesday a Casting Show. Its called "Unser Star für Oslo" in English "Our Star for Oslo". 20 unknown Artists fight for the right to represent Germany in Oslo. The First Show will be at Tuesday. 10 Artists compete in this round and 5 will qualified for the next round. I am very happy about this new format, and i hope we will do better this year that the last years.

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023