•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

Israeli jury votes

1. Mina Member with a "past"

1 pt - Bosnia & Herzegovina
    2 pts - Malta
    3 pts - Croatia
    4 pts - Moldova
    5 pts - United Kingdom
    6 pts - Armenia
    7 pts - Turkey
    8 pts - France
    10 pts - Norway
    12 pts - Iceland

Can anyone explain how on earth did Turkey get so many points by some juries?:S
  2. Mark New Member

Maybe coz like you said, they saw the hit potiental which the EBU asked to vote for, or maybe because they put on a good show ( bar vocals ) or because they all thought it was Shakira !! or because the juries aren't professionals and just esc-rejects !?
  3. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

Well, "dum tek tek" has got "hit" written all over it, its catchy and its a good pop song :) As I said before, the juries probably weren't just judging on which were the best songs, they were probably also taking into account which songs were the most commercial, and a number of other factors too, which is probs why Turkey & Azerbaijan scored very well with the juries and Greece reasonably well.

Also Dum tek tek did have a good routine that was pleasing to the eye, and these juries are still human, if they like what they see on stage they are more likely to vote for it!!
  4. Mina Member with a "past"

Jonny,
    the same can be said about Romania. I didn't like the lyrics, as you know, but music wise it's a nice ethno-pop song.
    Why wasn't it voted by the juries?
  5. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

Good question. But I think (although in rehearsals I preferred Romania) Turkey was simply more memorable on the night. It had alot more impact on stage whereas Romania was nice, but that was it, nice.

Because of your point I just watched the two performance again, and overall Turkey was alot more memorable & impactive than Romania. Also I think there was more flesh on display during the Turkish performance, which always helps!! :D
  6. Mark New Member

BECAUSE THEY TOOK OUT THE FUCKING DRESS CHANGES !! and because it was a really sloppy performance, like Soraya's
  7. That's what I ask myself too, mina :S I thought vocals mattered much to the juries.
  8. CTP Jass hater

Who says they didn't matter? Turkey's getting a lot of mid-range points, not 12 points every time. Perhaps they marked her down in that respect, but liked the song and it's "hit potential" as well as stage presence etc.

I personally wouldn't have given Hadise a cracker, but having said that, I can see why there are reasons to vote for it.
  9. Mina Member with a "past"

LOL so if the vocals were excellent, how many points would they have given her? 10 or 12?
  10. CTP Jass hater

How long is a piece of string? Obviously some juries did like the song for some reason. If her vocals were better, she might have got more points -we will never know, there's no take two. I for one don't like the style of music Hadise sings, but lots of people do, maybe these jurors did. I personally gave her a 3/10 for effort, but I have a lot of Eurovision friends who saw something in it that I didn't.

Incidentally, check out the "Australian diaspora votes" here http://www.sbs.com.au/eurovision/
  11. Mina Member with a "past"

Woooohooooo, at least we were 2nd in something:P I know we have a big diaspora over there but Iceland was 4th and I don't suppose there are many Icelanders in Australia..lol

About dum tek tek, well, I like the song personally, and it was in my top 15, so I wouldn't be surprised even if it had won televoting...but from juries who are professional musicians you expect stricter criteria. Musically it was a very typical ethno-pop song, the lyrics were simple (to put it nicely) and vocally it was average.
    The message that voting sends to me is that next year we can send a pretty girl with an average voice and a catchy song and end up in the top 5..and somehow I don't think this is the message that the juries were supposed to send.
  12. CTP Jass hater

lol. Maybe it was the two Australian writers - our commentators were constantly gushing about how we should support Sakis because of that!

Well, Turkey didn't finish in the top 5 just on jury votes, there was obviously a similar level of support from the public. Obviously the song had something. Is the message that you send a mediocre pop song and get in the top 5 - but you don't win? I feel the role of the jury isn't really to change things too much, but reduce the likelyhood of neighbourly voting. Make it so Belarus isn't forever giving 12 to Russia, to slow up the "balkan foxtrot" or the Scandinavians... will they achieve that? No, not totally. But the two options are to do nothing, or to add juries (I know there are options about 1 vote per phone, which I'd rather see, but the EBU wants the money - and before people start screaming "stupid greedy EBU" remember this is an expensive show).

All we have is one example. I broadly liked this years top 10, and tentatively support the 50/50 mix. If they keep this method, it will be interesting to see if we have longer term patterns of song types etc. doing well. I, like so many others, await the televote results to see what happened...
  13. c1ask0 Napkin of death holder

I think we should have the song contest once every week. That way every country would surely win eventually and then they can all stop complaining! :P

I want to add something. I'm scared that the UK will just fall back into nothing next year. I liked the top of the scoreboard and I want to stay there. :(
  14. Mina Member with a "past"

Don't worry, as long as there's 50/50, the Uk will never be in the bottom again:P

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023