•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

Should the winner lose the crown?

1. Mina Member with a "past"

Watch this video from 4.00 on and then see when it was posted.

2. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

Well, it clearly makes the song ineligible. But I bet EBU won't do anything now.
    sokrates1988, Rua and Mina like this.
  3. Rua Haldor Lægreid Impersonator

They don't do anything now, of course they won't. They never do - I think it's a bit late to be taking away crowns but that is ridiculous that it slipped under the radar.
  4. Mina Member with a "past"

And here's the EBU's response:

Statement on performance of Ukraine's winning Eurovision Song Contest song before September 1 deadline:
    "The Eurovision Song Contest rule (1.2.1a) which states that entries must not have been commercially released before September 1 exists to make sure that the Contest can welcome new compositions each year, and that every song can compete on a level playing field.
    The purpose of the rule is to prevent wide distribution of any song that might give it an unfair advantage in t...he competition the following May.
    In the past, songs that had been publicly available before the deadline, but had not been accessible by a wide audience, had been granted permission to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest by the Reference Group.
    In the case of Jamala’s “1944” the EBU’s attention has been drawn, after the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest, to a public performance of an earlier version of the song in May 2015.
    The video of a small concert had only been viewed by a few hundred people before it was discovered in the past few days.
    The EBU, based on previous decisions in the Reference Group, therefore has concluded that the published video did not give Jamala’s song any unfair advantage in the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest and the song was eligible to compete.”

PS The video has now been made private :rolleyes:
  5. Anaconda I'm as sick as fuck.

Yes, as expected, and consistent with what they did in other similar cases - ie, SunSay's Love Manifest. The video can be viewed here:
  6. Julio STRANGLES

EBU statement:

"The Eurovision Song Contest rule (1.2.1a) which states that entries must not have been commercially released before September 1 exists to make sure that the Contest can welcome new compositions each year, and that every song can compete on a level playing field.
    The purpose of the rule is to prevent wide distribution of any song that might give it an unfair advantage in the competition the following May.
    In the past, songs that had been publicly available before the deadline, but had not been accessible by a wide audience, had been granted permission to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest by the Reference Group.
    In the case of Jamala’s “1944” the EBU’s attention has been drawn, after the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest, to a public performance of an earlier version of the song in May 2015.
    The video of a small concert had only been viewed by a few hundred people before it was discovered in the past few days.
    The EBU, based on previous decisions in the Reference Group, therefore has concluded that the published video did not give Jamala’s song any unfair advantage in the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest and the song was eligible to compete.”

Although I think this won't be ending soon as now people are saying that the concert was broadcast on national television and that even the Ukrainian President commented on the concert regarding the song saying "Great song with the great political message"
  7. sokrates1988 I HATE EUROVISION

Usual rubbish from the ebu first they let her take part with a song which shouldnt have been allowed now this crops up and again they do nothing. They need to burn their rules book as they never take any notice of any of it the whole thing stinks
    Rua, jw and Mina like this.

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023