•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

Rehearsals

1. Julio STRANGLES

So the rehearsals:

Semi 1

:am: Armenia

:lv: Latvia

:ee: Estonia

:se: Sweden

:is: Iceland

:al: Albania

:ru: Russia

:az: Azerbaijan

:ua: Ukraine

:be: Belgium

:md: Moldova

:sm: San Marino

:pt: Portugal

:nl: Holland

:hu: Hungary

:me: Montenegro

Semi 2

:mt: Malta

:il: Israel

:no: Norway

:ge: Georgia

:pl: Poland

:at: Austria

:lt: Lithuania

:fi: Finland

:ie: Ireland

:by: Belarus

:mk: Macedonia

:ch: Switzerland

:gr: Greece

:si: Slovenia

:ro: Romania

2. Rua Haldor Lægreid Impersonator

:il: :yeah: :il:

Definitely the best from these mini-clips. Although I must say, why do Armenia get one from far away, showing off the background and all the rest of them have been filmed from closer to the stage? Bit strange. Also, the props used look 'orrendous. :P

Case in point, the fuck-ugly taco shell in :ru:'s performance that adds nothing and that weird seashell-clam thing in :sm:

Also the backgrounds can be horrendous - like that asylum-look that :ee: has. o_O
  3. ThatWelshOne Member

:ru: Y U DO DIS :'(
    :sm: Seashell is weird but vocally strong
    :al: Great vocals, weird staging
    :me: The skater works well, the staging is great overall and great vocals too.
    :il: Brilliant vocals and staging. Work it Mei!
    :se: Powerful vocals as expected.
    :mt: Nice colourful stage and good vocals.
    :pt: Vocals aren't perfect but the performance is full of energy.
    :hu: Good vocals and good staging, could win the semi.
    :lv: Energetic performance, they really know how to make their presence known on stage.
    :az: Beautifully sung as expected, would have been nice to see some fire effects on the LED screen.
    :be: Brilliant vocals.
    :no: One of the only performances where they fully use the stage - it's really beautiful. Perfect vocals.
  4. Julio STRANGLES

well seems I'm alone on this, but I think Israel was weak vocally, specially at the start.
    Ah, and this year is full of awful gimmicks, Ukraine with the hamster wheel, Montenegro with the skater (reminds me of Dima, never good), Azerbaijan with the Flying monkey etc.
    As for our song I would say it was vocally okay, and much better than in the NF (I also like the background with our flag colours, I would still lose the drummer and the flags)
  5. Rua Haldor Lægreid Impersonator

Instead of trying to be negative, I'll do what TWO is doing.

:am: Vocals are pretty good, lovely background - might be a little boring though for the first two minutes.
    :lv: Happy, fun, energetic. Nothing wrong with the vocals.
    :ee: Great vocals for all that dancing, wish the staging was a bit more professional though - background is bad.
    :se: She's great vocally and she has an alright staging - will qualify.
    :is: Love the background, colourful and fun. Hope it's a bit brighter, though.
    :al: Calm and peaceful - I like it. She's improved her english too, although weird staging.
    :ru: Alright vocally, although the staging needs a lot of work. Doesn't make any sense - and the red background + taco shell combination is weird.
    :az: I disagree, weak vocals and boring staging. Interesting with the trapezist but I'm not a fan.
    :ua: Improved vocals although still a bit weak - strange staging but unique.
    :be: Lovely vocals but the song is so dull - borderline qualify might even be a stretch.
    :md: A bit shouty compared to her other performances but I quite like the background.
    :sm: Her vocals suit this song much better but the staging is a little strange.
    :pt: Really like this - fun, her vocals are quite good and the staging looks great.
    :nl: I love the background and the double-mic gimmick is very personal. Although, he's too loud - and his voice is irksome.
    :hu: One of the best, performance-wise. Good vocals.
    :me: Don't think the skater adds much, was hoping the stage would be a bit brighter with some gold. Great vocals, otherwise.
    :mt: Not a fan of the background, good vocals - not a fan of the massive piano she's situated on.
    :il: Nice staging, great background - good vocals, although I think there's something missing.
    :no: Gorgeous staging, great vocals.
    :ge: Good vocals from Mariko, laughable presentation - I like the background. Why is the parachute man like a zombie? Distracting.
    :pl: Nice vocals from Cleo, love the background. Although, hate the fact it still has the BOOBAGE™ from the video. Glad it's not slutty, though, apart from the video. :P
    :at: Lovely background, good staging - although Conchita sounded a bit strained.
    :lt: What in the hell happened here? Horrible outfits, weird staging - Vilija sounds bad.
    :fi: Picked a bad part of the rehearsal to show off, don't like the staging.
    :ie: What. The. Actual. Christ. I'm so disappointed - vocally, sounded alright. WHAT kind of atrocity is the staging?
    :by: TEO sounds alright, nice staging - bit too dark for the type of mood. I like the backing dancers. :P
    :mk: Horrible staging, also - far too dark for the mood conveyed. Very bad vocals from Tijana, disappointing.
    :ch: One of the best of the semi 2 rehearsals, suitable background and stage set-up. Vocally on-point.
    :gr: CRINGETASTIC. Worst staging so far, the trampoline is so cringy. Vocally okay.
    :si: Very distracting background, hurts my eyes a little. She's done better singing in the past - strange dress choice.
    :ro: Great vocals and loving the background. A sure-qualifier and definitely a contender to win the semi.
  6. Julio STRANGLES

added Georgia, ps ROFL they have a parachute on stage, one more to add to the list of awful gimmicks
    Rua likes this.
  7. Merjan BOSOPOFO ELSIE

I think Rua,TWO and I must have been listening to different versions :o
    James likes this.
  8. Julio STRANGLES

Added :at:, :lt:, :fi:, :ie: & :by:
  9. Julio STRANGLES

also added the live disaster of :mk:
    Merjan and James like this.
  10. DenDutch Well-Known Member

Oh we can add the Greek trampoline to the list of awful gimmicks.
  11. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

Note how Greece in particular never fails to bring the most pointless of gimmicks. My personal favourite is Kalomira's pop-up garden way back in 2008, although admittedly it is very difficult to choose between that and Sakis's oversized LED-stapler that followed only a year later.

In any case I'm glad Greece is back on form.
  12. Julio STRANGLES

:gr::si:&:ro: conclude all the semi finalists
  13. DenDutch Well-Known Member

I'll do what TWO and Rua did too:

:am: He's a bit alone for a song called not alone, I like the lights and the background. What can we expect at the dubsteb part?
    :lv: Feels very happy and warm, I love the background.
    :ee: I don't really like the dancing, but she does a pretty good job singing and dancing at the same time. Please change the background.
    :se: I love the song and her vocals, the staging is simple and clear, but it misses something.
    :is: I like the colourful idea and the suits, the background is a bit too childish in my opinion.
    :al: I have no clue why she's standing on a giant shoe, vocals and background are nice.
    :ru: Oh Russia, your gimmick are so terrible, a taco shell seesaw with tied hair this time.
    :az: Boring background for a boring song, the trapeze act doesn't add much.
    :ua: The background should include clocks, I don't mind the hamster wheel.
    :be: Nice vocals, but I don't see the connection between the background and the song, it needs to be more personal I'd say.
    :md: I like the staging and background. Vocals aren't too bad.
    :sm: Her vocals are pretty good, I dislike the staging and the background is distracting.
    :pt: I quite like the staging and background, but the flags should be removed. Good vocals.
    :nl: I dislike Waylon here, he's way too loud. The staging is okay.
    :hu: Good vocals, good staging, potential winner maybe.
    :me: Remove the ice skater, please. I do like the background, the vocals were good.
    :mt: Staging and vocals are nice, the piano could be a bit smaller, the photos can be removed and I'd like to see another background.
    :il: I do love her voice, the staging, everything. I don't see it as a winner though.
    :no: This is a great staging, nice vocals too.
    :ge: Oh god, what an awful gimmick, that parachute. Vocals are okay. I do enjoy that background.
    :pl: BOOBS, BOOBS, does Poland really think it will make people vote for them? Staging and vocals are good.
    :at: I don't like the background, it doesn't match the song. Great vocals though.
    :lt: Oh god, Vilija. Bad vocals, I hate the dancer, and please try another dress. Potential winner for the Barbara Dex maybe?
    :fi: The staging and background are nice, I dislike that they picked a shouty part for the recap.
    :ie: Poor vocals and what an ugly background. The staging is not awful.
    :by: TEO improved a lot, but his English is still bad, I like the staging, but not that flower/flame thing nor the background.
    :mk: Afwul vocals, bad staging, I like the box things they made with the giant cage, but I dislike the stripes on the background.
    :ch: I like the staging and the background, vocals are okay, he doesn't sing very clear, but that's just his voice (that does match the song, though)
    :gr: Awful gimmick, it doesn't add anything, so a terrible staging, nice background, vocals are okay.
    :si: Extremely ugly dress, distracting background, staging is okay, vocals are meh.
    :ro: The background distracts a bit, and apparently they've replaced the transparent piano by a giant O (?). Great vocals, has a chance to win.
  14. Merjan BOSOPOFO ELSIE

Could Rua, TWO and Dennis please point me in the direction of the videos (and, therefore, the rehearsals) they've apparently seen, because they can't possibly be the ones that are shown here. (What's that? They are the only ones?) There are definitely 8 artists here (and maybe more) who are described as having good vocals who were, quite frankly, pretty crappy.
  15. ThatWelshOne Member

Second rehearsals (full)

Semi 1
    :am: Armenia

:lv: Latvia

:ee: Estonia

:se: Sweden

:is: Iceland

:al: Albania

:ru: Russia

:az: Azerbaijan

:ua: Ukraine

:be: Belgium

:md: Moldova

:sm: San Marino

:pt: Portugal

:nl: Holland

:me: Montenegro

:hu: Hungary
    Rua likes this.
  16. Rua Haldor Lægreid Impersonator

Just some quick reviews on these full performances - I told myself I wouldn't and I did. But most of them I just watched a few moments.

:am: The staging starts out slow and dramatic and of course, builds up to the big finish. There's something missing from the performance however and Aram's outfit does not suit the song's mood. Is he going for a trek in the rain? Vocally, he was as he normally is. 6/10.
    :
    :lv: The energy of the lead singer couldn't be portrayed as well as I would have liked this time around. I like the background and the whole garden-party feel although it was generally weak in presentation - 4/10.

:ee: Tanja can definitely hold a note or two while doing all that choreography. However, I find it distracting that it goes on almost all the way through the song - she could get pretty knackered during the last minute if she has a bad day. Romping in pyjamas again. 5/10

:se: Vocally, Sanna didn't sound as good as she usually is. The staging is impeccably designed for this song and it really goes with the feeling. However, I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that there's such a great amount of black on stage. I would have preferred some brighter accents. 6/10

:is: This performance, I enjoyed. Suitable to the mood portrayed and there's some great lighting effects with the cubes. The vocals are good for the song and they seem comfortable with the stage already. A qualifier that we might not expect? Sure, why not. 7/10

:al: Hersi's voice is quite good in this, and maybe it's because I'm Irish but I can understand her quite well. She's dressed appropriately, the staging is done far better than it was in the first rehearsal. The only problem is, is it strong enough to convey the message? 7/10

:ru: Now, I made no secret that I didn't like the Russian entry - and the performance conveys my feelings. It's just one big mess and the pass-off of people saying it's just to be 'futuristic' is really ridiculous. Vocally, okay. One sister carries the other however and it's pretty obvious. 3/10

:az: Dull and no amount of background colour changes can help with that fact. Dilara can sing and does it relatively better this time around - however, the circus performer is a grab for attention that I don't get and won't get. Just dull. 4/10

:ua: Performance has gotten better and more approachable - Maria can carry the song to a relatively alright note even though she sounded a little strained. I was hoping there'd be more of a focus on the actual clocks in the song, though. 5/10

:be: I'm gone off this song completely - not that I was a massive fan of it to begin with. Simplicity in its finest with the staging but this song just goes nowhere, stays at the same area and overall, no amount of prancing mammies in the background can save this. You can't really fault his vocal. 3/10
  17. Code9189 And There's a Noisy Storm Outside me...

18. ThatWelshOne Member

Updated with :md:, :sm:, :pt:, :nl:, :me: & :hu:
  19. Jonny Ginger Tory Witch

Originality of the :lv: song 4.8? :o

When was the last time you heard a song that referenced the Milky Way, the Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Great Wall of China, all in the context of one's incompetence in the kitchen? It's PERFECT.
    Code9189, Rua, DenDutch and 2 others like this.
  20. DenDutch Well-Known Member

Also, how is the performance of :al: a 9, :ee: a 7.8, and :lv: a 7.2?

Sorry, but how can standing on a platform that looks like a shoe give you a 9, while giving the viewers a home feeling only makes a 7.2?

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023