•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

United Kingdom 2012

1. Luis DLC I spread Eurovision joy in the US, oy

Anettes and Merjs of the world, unite and televote like crazy!
    Ljupco likes this.
  2. Mina Member with a "past"

Why is everyone so ageist? I'm more thrilled with this news than when Josh was chosen with that bland song. Like him or not, he is a well known artist and he can sing. Until we hear the song and him performing it, let's reserve judgement. Sure, he's not your typical eurovision entrant but it wouldn't be the first time eurovision surprised us...remember Lordi? Who would have thought a band like that could ever win eurovision? Or Denmark 2000? It's all up to the song, period.
    Liam, Julio and NickEmpel like this.
  3. Luis DLC I spread Eurovision joy in the US, oy

4. NickEmpel BURGER AND FRIES

When I heard the news last night, my first thought was: WTF is BBC thinking?
    Like Mina and Luis, I will wait for the song before my final judgement, but there are some things I wonder about:
    1. Why did BBC pick him?
    2. How can a guy that was already considered old-fashioned in the 60s deliver a good song in 2012?
    3. Will his voice be good? I've seen recordings from 2010 and he wasn't too convincing there...
    But ok, the song will be composed/written/produced by two modern people, so who knows.
  5. Luis DLC I spread Eurovision joy in the US, oy

The last part is what makes me feel a little better about this (the songwriters). Josh was young, but we all knew he'd get nowhere with Waterman's lack of effort...
  6. Julio STRANGLES

I couldn't agree more with Mina ( :o) yes it might have been not a smart choice from BBC and sure he is old and most of his songs are old fashioned, but the team behind him is great, and no one can't say he doesn't have voice cause damn he has a big voice and he is 75 years old!
    I'm sure he will have a strong song with that team, so it will be a strong song and a good singer live, and we all know that there have been worse live singers in esc and much younger than him, so it's not like a disaster.
    Other fact is the media behind him already, you see his name and people talking about him already everywhere good or bad but they do, and go anywhere and you wont see that for most of the singers already selected this year, and also I'm sure he will have a big media around him in Baku cause after all he used to be a big star, and normally they always get many attention when they go to esc.
    So anyway wait for the song and we will see, but for now what we have is a great live singer and a great team behind him, so lets just trust on them and see.
    NickEmpel and Liam like this.
  7. Julio STRANGLES

and that above was my 1.000 message <3
    pepepaez, Merjan and NickEmpel like this.
  8. Of course we have to hear the song before we judge it. I admit I was disappointed when I heard the news because I've never liked his songs. This has nothing to do with age though.
  9. Luis DLC I spread Eurovision joy in the US, oy

10. bashers Oooooshhh!

I'm warming to the idea now -);
  11. Eurovizz Member

everyone anticipated for josh because of pete waterman and look UK had a christmas song during the esc final in oslo...so even if Humpeldicnk has an amazing team behind him, the composers need to be fit with Humpeldincks style, they can't just award him a song that would fit lady gaga
  12. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

Will love set us free? It could have been worse. At least it has a key change. :P

TV premiere is some time between 7pm and 7:30pm UK on BBC One. Press release:

The BBC is pleased to announce that international music legend Engelbert Humperdinck will sing “Love Will Set You Free" when he represents the UK in the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday 26 May in Baku, Azerbaijan, broadcast live on BBC One and BBC One HD.

Engelbert calls for the UK to get behind him as he flies the flag for the nation this May at the 57th Eurovision Song Contest in Baku, Azerbaijan in front of an estimated 120 million viewers worldwide.

“Love Will Set You Free” has been recorded in London, Los Angeles and Nashville and is co-written and produced by Grammy Award-winning Martin Terefe (James Morrison, KT Tunstall, Mary J Blige), and Ivor Novello Award-winning Sacha Skarbek (Adele, James Blunt co-writer ‘You’re Beautiful’, Lana Del Rey). Engelbert will be accompanied on stage by guitarist James Bryan, well-known for his appearances with Nelly Furtado. Also, Arlene Phillips [choreographer for Jade Ewen in 2009] will be staging Engelbert’s performance in Baku.

Derek McLean, BBC Creative Director Entertainment, says “As Eurovision draws ever closer, we are delighted to announce that Engelbert will perform ‘Love Will Set You Free’ to a worldwide audience of millions at the Eurovision Song Contest. It is a soaring ballad that has been crafted by some of the best people in music. With credentials like these, and our very own music legend on vocals, this year our Eurovision entry is second to none.”

Engelbert Humperdinck added: “I have my eyes on the prize with my song ‘Love Will Set You Free’. I’m very proud of the song and with the nation behind me, I feel ready and look forward to the rollercoaster ride that is Eurovision!"
  13. Nessie SWEET HOME ALABAMA

see. its not the worst song. not a bad voice. not a that sounds good to me.
  14. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

Lyrics from the BBC:

Love Will Set You Free
    (M. Terefe and S.Skarbek – Sony ATV Music/Universal Music Publishing)

So graceful and pure
    A smile bathed in light
    No matter the distance
    A miracle of sight
    Though I should have known
    I could not turn away
    When faced with your beauty
    No reason can stay
    As you kiss him in the moonlight
    With heavy words I say
    If you love someone
    Follow your heart
    ‘Cause love comes once
    If you’re lucky enough
    Though I’ll miss you forever
    The hurt will run deep
    Only love can set you free
    Trust in your dreams
    Run with no fear
    And if you should stumble
    Remember I’m near
    As a ghost I will walk
    I’ll look deep in my soul
    I might find another
    You gave me that hope
    So as you kiss him in the moonlight
    With heavy words I say
    If you love someone
    Follow your heart
    ‘Cause love comes once
    If you’re lucky enough
    And the hurt will run deep
    Only love can set you free
    And if you love someone
    Follow your heart
    ‘Cause love comes once
    If you’re lucky enough
    The hurt will run deep
    Love will set you free
  15. Mina Member with a "past"

I totally love this song, I've already heard it 4 times in a row. I knew the Uk wouldn't send Enge with a crappy song. I'm happy and this is my no 3 now. Go Enge <3
  16. Ljupco Active Member

This is absolutely beautiful song!!! I am 100% sure that this year UK will be top 2!!! Great job!!!
  17. BTD A Member

Good song.

It probably won't do much on the night though.
  18. Julio STRANGLES

19. Liam Esterran.

Very haunting, I expected it to build more, but I'm very happy with the song :D
  20. matthewbell32 Du kommer alltid vara nummer 1 för mig

Engelbert's gone down a storm, it was RAMBO AMADEUS everyone should have counted on if they wanted to be severely disappointed.
    jw likes this.

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023