•   days until the Eurovision Song Contest Final in Malmö!

United Kingdom 2018

1. Mina Member with a "past"

In order of preference, here are the UK hopefuls. I think it's a good effort this year and that either Asanda (if they want to pick the safe option) or Jaz (if they want to take a risk) would be fine for Lisbon if they're good live (I don't know any of them).

Rua likes this.
  2. sokrates1988 I HATE EUROVISION

What a boring line up, i hope the pubs are open on the 7th :)
  3. Rua Haldor Lægreid Impersonator

I decided I would listen to them in the order they were released to the public:

Goldstone - Bizzare wherein they sound like they're shouting and giving attitude in the usual female vocal group way but the lyrics are about feeling the love? It doesn't make sense and overall, it just sounds dated and, well, crap.

Asanda - The song isn't exactly my cup of tea but I feel it's one that has potential to do something at Eurovision with a good live performance. It feels as if she took the time to pick a song that suited her and not just plucked out of the air (like most of the other songs.)

Raya - Nearly three minutes of a basic song with nowhere to go and no message behind it. Definitely not a contender (I hope) as it doesn't do anything.

Liam Tamne - I've got the same shirt as him in the video. :D The production is nice on this song and I think it's quite a nice song but it would be forgotten easily (and some of the lyrics are unequivocally cheesy.)

Jaz - Another one where it was suited to the actual singer but BY CHRIST, is it boring (and horrible, imo.)

SuRie - She has quite a lovely voice (judging by live performances) and the song is okay (the lyrics are very cliche). I lose interest about halfway through, though.

1. Liam
    2. Asanda
    3. SuRie
    4. Raya
    5. Goldstone
    6. Jaz

Best of luck, :uk: - you'll do better than us at least because you're in the final. :baby:
  4. Merjan BOSOPOFO ELSIE

WTWAT. I don't think Europe will be descending on the UK in 2019, whatever is chosen.

Is Asanda the "safe option"? Not having seen BGT I don't know if she'll bring fans with her, but I don't think I can see the "Great British Public" going for that. I had liked SuRie with Storm from the snippet, but listening to the whole song, I had to stop it before the end, such a noise it was.

I remember Jaz Ellington from The Voice and I might even have been PISSED OFF when he got knocked out in the semi-final, but I’m really not sure about the song, although it is (probably) my favourite. I think it’s fair to say if it was sung by a woman I would describe it as a F ROW. While I don’t think it’s a row, I don’t think it’s right; it needs something doing to it.

Unfortunately, I can see the aforementioned Great British Public going for Goldstone: “dated and crap” it says it all.
    Rua likes this.
  5. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

:turd:

Disclaimer: haven't heard any, don't want to.
    sokrates1988 likes this.
  6. Merjan BOSOPOFO ELSIE

HFC
  7. sokrates1988 I HATE EUROVISION

10 seconds of each one was enough for me :turd:
  8. Genesis2703 Pointless

:uk: Eurovision You Decide 2018 - Top 6 :uk:
    1. Asanda - Legends
    2. Raya - Crazy
    3. SuRie - Storm
    4. Goldstone - Feel The Love
    5. Liam Tamne - Astronaut
    6. Jaz Ellington - You
    Brief Comments:
    Asanda - It's a bit clubby for what I'd listen to during the day, but I do enjoy it and can see this being quite a memorable entry if it went to Lisbon. If loads of countries end up sending slow songs to the final then I could see this getting us an okay-ish televoting score.... maybe... I still don't have too much hope.

Raya - This song REALLY needs more variety in its lyrics. But it is quite catchy and memorable (and not in the bad way).

SuRie - For some reason I really don't like the lyrics to this song, and it sounds like something Germany would send and then (almost) toilet with.

Goldstone - On the very first listen I quite liked it, but as today has gone on I've realised it really isn't that good..... it'll probably sink even further down my ranking as the days pass.

Liam - Pleasant while it's on but I just can't remember any of it at all except for the start of the chorus. I want to hear this live though as it could be really good or a total trainwreck.

Jaz - This is boring (coming from me!) and I just really really don't like this! I beg that the "Great British Public" doesn't end up choosing this :(

As a whole the songs this time around sound a bit more current, and I think the quality has gone up. The fact I only actively dislike one song out of the six is pretty good for our NF.
  9. CTP Jass hater

WTWAT. SuRie was the only song I listened to in full. Jaz is a good singer it seems but his song drags like a Violet Passport voting video. Goldestone's song should be called "three minutes of being shouted at". I suppose Asanda is the most modern sounding and might finish top 20 if chosen.
  10. Julio STRANGLES

1 - Liam Tamne - Enjoyable (for me at least but I think it's safe to say it won't win the national final)
    2 - Asanda - I guess this is the safest bet for the UK with some changes could do something although haba haba?
    3 - Raya - Not my style.
    4 - Jaz Ellington - Again not my style but I guess it has its appeal.
    5 - SuRie - Cliche too much?
    6 - Goldstone - No.
  11. Anaconda I'm as sick as fuck.

I'm ranking these in terms of personal preference, not necessarily competitive potential.
    1. Liam Tamne - I am bound to favour male voices and the song is not unpleasant, if rather generic
    2. Jaz Ellington - I don't think the song is bad, just very boring
    3. Asanda - I don't like it, but could be a 'safe bet' given the rest in here
    4. Raya - it only gets placed higher than SuRie because it's somewhat catchy
    5. SuRie - I found this incredibly cliché, like Júlio said, and bad cliché
    6. Goldstone - just awful noise.
  12. jw HI. I'M ADAM SCOTT.

what's with the font
  13. Anaconda I'm as sick as fuck.

I was taking notes as I went through them from the videos above, so I did it in another file and then copy-pasted it.

Like this page on Facebook

Comments posted on the forum and in the chat room are the sole opinion of the respective author and not escChat.com.
escChat.com © 2009 – 2023